The input provided below is also from my current personal observation on Twitter. Especially solopreneurs or people with not a large bankroll to fund their business.
I see great people building and shipping things at lightning speed. And I admire that.
But once the hype is over and their MRR or ARR is sinking faster than the Titanic, they start to worry or abandon a project because they expect to gain immediate results that result in revenue.
That’s cool if you have the intention to produce more stuff than the entire Fast and the Furious franchise but it’s not when you are hyper-focused on building one or two insanely good products that can conquer authority.
That’s right. The sole purpose of SEO experts doing nothing but search engine optimization is to obtain authority.
They want nothing more than to be the Alpha, Sigma, and Omega at the same time.
You, as a sole business owner, Indie hacker or SME want authority in your field. It’s not so much about the brand here. It’s about showcasing to search engines and visitors that you know your shit.
And you can do that, by applying basic common sense, drinking 2 coffees, and using a basic SEO strategy that can survive over time.
Here’s the list of reasons I believe why you should start SEO today:
- It takes time to see significant impact
- It helps you build a better corporate DNA
- It supports your entire marketing story. After all, marketing is nothing but telling a good story
- It helps you acquire customers organically
- It helps you reduce burn rates
- It’s fundamental build more and better backlinks
- It shows you put a lot of effort in your business
- It helps users in their buying decisions (trust factor)
- It’s multipurpose (knowledge base, blog, definitions,…)
- It helps you hedge against ad spent
- It’s something you can still outsource without losing control
- It helps your ORM (online reputation management)
- It helps you define better goals
- It helps you find a new set of customers through DATA
- It helps you become authoritative
- It helps you become authoritative
- Did I mention that it helps you become authoritative?
So if you have not understood what I mean is that SEO for dummies is not entirely about scoring first place in search engine results.
It’s about being recognized as an authority.
Understand that, and my EV (expected value) and impact should make a lot more sense here.
Your expected values are aligned with goals that are far more achievable in an early stage than beating the number one in search engines.
YOUR EFFORTS TODAY WITH AN EXPECTED VALUE OF AUTHORITY SHOULD CHANGE YOUR PERSPECTIVE.
IF YOU SHIFT YOUR GOALS FROM REVENUE TO AUTHORITY IN SEO, YOU CAN WIN THE GAME MUCH FASTER.
Obtain authority and your revenue will follow.
One of my favorite examples is Kinsta.
Kinsta started as a specialist in web hosting for WordPress blogs.
There was a time that everything I searched related to WordPress, I could bet my pants on it, that Kinsta was showing up in the top 10 results.
I challenge you to go there and take a look:
eir resource center and blog are built entirely for the sole purpose to drive traffic for specific cases or problems WordPress users have.
It solves actual issues and they’re really good in their explanations.
They were so good, that I moved a lot of websites to Kinsta (a long time ago) before I moved them to a dedicated server and Kuna Host.
They convinced me to pay a few hundred dollars a month because their blogging strategy and info were so accurate.
And guess what?
BECAUSE THEY BUILT THEIR AUTHORITY.
This leads again to the secondary part of why you dummies should do SEO from day 1: PRICING
Kinsta was able to charge 10 times more than your average hosting provider. Not only because their infrastructure was fast and solid but because:
- They show a lot of knowledge through blogging and SEO
- Their customer support are true WP experts, which COMPLETELY ALIGNS WITH THE STORY THEY ARE TELLING
- Their entire objective was to capture your attention in one way or another, showcase corporate values and DNA, extend that line to CS and live chat and make you pay for a service that is without a doubt worth it.
- Because people put in a lot of trust
So if you are still thinking SEO is not worth it, then I would absolutely challenge you otherwise.
Showcase expertise and authority through SEO and blogging, and you can increase your pricing over time for a service that’s far more valuable where customers are NOT going to churn so easily.
Let’s move to the tools and basics, shall we?
READ PART #3: SEO TOOLS FOR DUMMIES